Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I sell jewelry online through a Chinese manufacturer called

Customer Question

I sell jewelry online through a Chinese manufacturer called Aliexpress. They often rip designers products off. I recently had to stop sales because of a trade mark problem with there picture. I understand the problem with that as its not our pictures. My questions is in the jewelry it self if its the same style as the designers and we Make a disclosure Saying like ( none of these products are related to any of these designers and or anything to do with them) just a rough draft. I need to know if it is illegal or if there is anything i can do to sell these Knock off products with out any harassment from the designers? Thanks Andrew.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 months ago.

It is a breach of copyright and therefore unlawful for you to copy the jewelry design. It's not simply that you cannot say that they are not at genuine designer product but you also cannot copy the design. You don't own the design.

Do you see what I mean?