Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and Retired cop. Drug expert, breath tech, negotiator, traffic specialist. Criminal, Family, Civil and others.
38596469

Today i was caught shoplifting small amount i felt terrible

Customer Question

hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes so today i was caught shoplifting for a small amount i felt terrible and the store didnt press charges but they did take down my identification and had to call the police the police took down my information and i got to leave with a warning i have no criminal record or offence but I do have to pay a civil fine from the store i was just wondering in cases like these will it affect me later on? as for the fine will i need to go to court?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'd be happy to help you.

It is fortunate that the store and the police chose not to press charges and simply warned you. As a result, you still have no criminal record and this will not be seen by anyone in the future if your name is ***** ***** the national criminal database.

As for the "civil fine" I assume that this is in the form of a demand letter from the store, looking to recover the costs associated with the theft and loss prevention. It is not unusual to see demands for funds in the area of $400 to $500. This is not a fine, but rather a demand for payment as a punishment. They've likely indicated that they would pursue civil action if it's not paid.

Ultimately, they could sue you, but it's highly unlikely over such a small amount. Since the police have warned you, they are not likely to go back and charge you if the payment is not made. The decision on how to proceed is yours. If you want to put it behind you and not worry about anything else, then you can pay the amount. If you had been charged criminally, you would have incurred costs anyhow to deal with the charge and any penalty.

You've gotten off lightly and are very fortunate. As long as you stay out of trouble from here on out, this will never cause you any further problems.

I look forward to hearing back from you so that we may chat further.

Jim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even though it would not be in my criminal record, the police still took down my identification. They said it was a warning and put into their report. What does this mean is what I wanted to know? In the long run let's say I am going across the border or something like that, will they be able to see the incident?
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

The report will be on the police local records, but that's as far as it goes. It's on their local computer and that police force can see it. No employers would learn about it, no border services would have access to it nor would other law enforcement agencies.

The only impact it would have is if you committed another crime in this jurisdiction, this police service would see from their reports that you were warned before and they would likely charge you next time.

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you require anything further at all.

Jim

Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

I see that you were back in and viewed my response however I do not see a reply from you.

Please let me know if you are satisfied with the information that I have provided or if you need anything further at all.

Also, please take a moment to leave me a positive rating so that I can be credited for the time that I have spent with you.

Jim