Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Signed a five year lease retail mens clothing store in a

Customer Question

Signed a five year lease for my retail mens clothing store in a mall redevelopment with promise of a phase 2 that would have more retail stores and a hotel catering to our clientele. Now seven months into the lease the redevelopment has completely changed and they are putting phase two into a apartment and excercise studio leaving us as the only retail in the complex with no draw for our target audience. I don't have an anchor tenant clause but everything they told to get me to sign the lease has been a lie
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just wondering if I can legally get out of this lease now?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.

Are you saying that you were misrepresented and would not have signed the lease had they told you the truth about their intentions?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe their intent emotions were to build the hotel and retail shopping center but I just read in the newspaper that they have decided to go a different way due to the downturn in alberta'a economy and are now building an apartment and sports complex as opposed to the hotel and retail shopping centre I was presented when I signed my lease. Leaving us as the only retail in the centre.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Their intent initially

Is there anything in your lease that talks about the retail shopping centre?