Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I own a condo in Calgary Alberta. I have an assigned parking

Customer Question

Hello
I own a condo in Calgary Alberta. I have an assigned parking spot. The man who parks beside me has decided to take over his and my spot with his large truck. He has put nasty notes on my car window stating I need to move over and give him more room. I can't because there is no room. I can no longer park in my spot. At this time the spot on the other side of me is vacant so I'm parking there. This is not a permanent situation though. The condo company has told me to call the police. They have explained they can't do anything. There is a waiting list for parking spots at this time. I have asked if I can park in visitor parking but they have told me I am not allowed because I have a spot! What legal rights do I have? There is no where else for me to park my car. It is stated in my ownership paperwork that I am entitled to a particular spot. The police aren't really interested in helping with this matter.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

You do not own the spot is that correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No we are simply assigned a spot with the condo.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I purchased the condo it was stated that I would receive a parking space. I am unsure of what to do next.

The spaces are owned by the corporation so it was ridiculous for them to tell you to call the police. First, they had to call as they represent the board that runs the corporation that owns the space. And second this is not a police matter in any event.

If someone parks in a spot that is not designated to them the management company should have that car towed.

So if that truck is over into your space that is what they should do.

The management company has delegated authority from the Board. If they are not helping you then you have to go to the Board. The Board owes you a duty of care and has to do whatever is necessary to ensure you have a parking spot that is not hampered by this nasty truck owner.