Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Question? Our 24 year daughter slid off the ghway between

Customer Question

Question?
Our 24 year daughter slid off the highway between Quesnel and Prince George at 1:00 on the morning o Feburary 20, 2016. Before she was towed out of the ditch a police officer arrived and charged her with careless driving (failing due care and attention). My understanding is that this is 6 demerit points.
Is this charge worth trying to plead down to a charge that does not carry such a large amount of demerit points?
Allan Bateman ***@******.***
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

Yes, it is certainly worth trying. There is no harm and it is most likely the case that your daughter will succeed because the crown does not want her to plead not guilty and have a trial.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

I am sorry, but I cannot speak with you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service, but the site is based on the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking with you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I am happy to continue posting over this site.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have experience in the Quesnel court system? I know they would prefer to settle out of court but how likely is this to happen in Quesnel BC?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I choose to fight it do you have recommendations for a lawyer or service in Quesnel BC?

If your daughter says that she is not guilty then she should retain a lawyer to represent her. But, if she is not sure whether she is guilty or not then it is most likely the best case for her to try to plead guilty to a lesser offence as then there is certainty and then she does not need to pay legal fees.

To find a lawyer in BC you can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:
(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. I will need more than you can offer but thank you for your time.

You are very welcome, best of luck.