Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My uncle passed away in november 2015 he told me the

Customer Question

my uncle passed away in november 2015 he told me the combination to a safe to where he kept his will his rifles and personal papers. when i went to retrieve it the safe was opened by his wife and the will papers were gone. they used a safe cracker and opened it. i still know the combo to prove im right but no will papers
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Albert Mark Doucette was his name born august 13 1956 died november 8 2015 GrandePrairie Alberta Canada. he said i would do very well when he was gone and to look after his grand daughter Rena
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying the wife says there was no Will in the safe?

How long were they married for and did your uncle have kids that are still living?

What is your specific question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he has two daughters that are still living. would have been married for 40 years. he wanted me as the beneficiary of his will. when i asked him "shouldn't you give that to your daughters"? he said "your going to do well Darryl" i saw for my own eyes that the will is not in the safe as it had been opened . she denies that there was a will and wont return my calls. what i need to find out is there a will is there record of it via his lawyer,. notary'i dont know if he had a lawyer, insurance policies, banking , as i have no info
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can you get ac
cess to the info i need

I am not sure who you think I am but I have no access to anything.

I am not the government and I am not even your lawyer.

I am a lawyer but that is all.

It sounds like the wife did not like the Will and destroyed it. She broke open the safe and that shows your uncle did not want her to have the combination though he gave it to you.

So it sounds to me that your next step has to be either to call around and state that you were told you were the executor of the estate of your uncle but you cannot find the Will and don't know which lawyer your uncle used and ask for the law firms to check to see if they have the Will or a copy of the Will.

If that doesn't work your next step would be to retain your own lawyer who can send the wife a letter asserting your position and threatening a lawsuit.

It may be that you will need to take her to Court.

I hope that helps as a starting point.