Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am just trying to figure things out. I was off and refused

Customer Question

I am just trying to figure things out. I was laid off and refused to sign the release as I did not agree with the severance. I send a letter with what I thought would be fair and requested a reply. Now a lawyer representing the company has contacted me and stated they will not respond to the letter till I have provided contact info for my legal council. I don't want to get legal council till I see what they (the company) has to say about my letter. Can I ask them to respond directly to me for now?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can say that at this point in time you are self-representing but if you need to sue for wrongful dismissal you may then retain counsel.

And you can provide a deadline for replying to you and state that if they do not meet the deadline you will commence a lawsuit.