Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I received a call from the CRA today and upon returning the

Customer Question

I received a call from the CRA today and upon returning the call was informed to contact a lawyer as according to them I was audited recently without my knowledge and now must defend myself. Basically I was told to wait for the RCMP or the OPP will be serving me with the papers containing a court date, then the gentleman on the other end stated " I will freeze all your accounts right now " and proceeded to hang up the phone in my ear. I have been on a payment plan with my personal income tax since July but have not missed a payment, and until today have not heard of any other audits for me or the flooring installation business that I own. The call occurred at around 5:30 this evening so I won't know if the threat was carried out until the morning when my bank opens. He also threatened to revoke my business license as of next Monday, I am self employed and don't make enough to hire a lawyer so what should I do, what move should I make next?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

Were you asked to make a payment on the telephone right away?