Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

In Canada, criminal charge. Before you have ever attended

Customer Question

In Canada, for a criminal charge. Before you have ever attended court. Are there applications or motions, to have the crown withdraw or dismiss charges
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have, though not been able to meet yet.
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was charged, although I understand reasonable grounds are objective. For domestic assault, that I did not commit. Also could not have committed, as the complainant was not present in the country and I have never been present at where police stated it to have occurred, also I was at work.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: The police officer, I believe engaged in misconduct, negligence, made racially insensitive statements, refused physical proof of alibi, take a formal statement. During arrest, he became flustered as I explained why the entire accusation was baseless and illogical. The morning when I was bailed, the charge was changed based on the details I told him.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As well, the province is ontario. I have no record. Thus far, I was arrested when an officer called wanting to meet. I had contacted police regarding threats I'd received earlier that day, so I foolishly went to a public place to meet. I was arrested, charged, was denied to provide evidence or statement. Received bail, the next morning.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

What have you been charged with, exactly? When is your court date?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Domestic Assault, 22 of March

Do you have your bail / recognizance in front of you? We need to be absolutely clear on the charges and under which section of the criminal code.

You're saying that the complainant was out of the country at the time of the alleged assault? And you have proof of this?