Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm a Canadian living in Florida and currently have a

Customer Question

I'm a Canad***** *****ving in Florida and currently have a lawsuit in the United States. I have a home in Ontario and would like to know what kind of protection I would have in the event of a judgment, if I were to put the home in a company name or my spouses name would that give me protection.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

No. Unfortunately, that would not help. In Canada that would be considered fraud. The transfer of title would also be set aside.

In Canada there is no way to protect assets from creditors or if you are being sued. There is specific legislation that prohibits those transfers to be fraudulent conveyances. In Canada assets can only be protected before there is a claim or a possible claim or before there are creditors that could be claiming the asset.

I'm sorry to have to give this bad news.