Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I live in Alberta and have been divorced years. My former

Customer Question

I live in Alberta and have been divorced for 5 years. My former husband took the matrimonial debt of 40,000.00 at that time. I now have our child the majority of the time and have just been to a dispute resolution officer in an attempt to get child support for my daughter. I have not received any child support in the past 14 months. The mediator stated I could not receive child support due to the fact that he assumed the matrimonial debt. This seems very odd to me? How can debt from 5 years ago affect what he pays today?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

This is simply a nonsensical thing to tell you. It has no foundation in law. It is simply 100% wrong and it is shocking that you were told this.

You cannot consider using this mediator as the mediator doesn't understand family law

I am sorry this happened to you.