Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had a bc registered large boat repossessed in north

Customer Question

i had a bc registered large boat repossessed in north carolina. on top of that boat is a small tender boat registered to another third party. As a third party can that individual get their asset back? it is distinctly different title then the large boat
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: who might you suggust
JA: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.
Customer:***@******.***
JA: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Lawyer now?
Customer: yes
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

Are you saying it was repossessed by the financing company who is in BC?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is a national bank, the security agreements are BC based, I know that once they repossessed it they have no right to pursue any deficiency claim.

Then they can seize the boat in NC. It is not possible to save a secured asset from being seized by taking it over the border.

And yes as there is a seize or sue law in BC they cannot sue for the deficiency.

It is unlawful for them to keep the other boat and they should be contacted by the owner of the boat who should demand its return and threaten a lawsuit.