Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Would tieing a ribbon to a fellow employees vehicle be

Customer Question

Would tieing a ribbon to a fellow employees vehicle be classed as harassment ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 12 months ago.

Is this the only time that this has ever happened?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It is the only time that it has ever happened to this employee. It has happened to several other employees also including myself.

Is this employee alleging that he/she is being singled out and therefore alleging harassment?

Why is this being done? For example, is it supposed to be a joke?

Has anyone ever complained about this to the employer before?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the employee is stating that he is being harassed or intimidated. it most certainly was meant as a joke no one has complained before

So clearly what has to happen here is the employer has to be told that not only is this a harmless joke and no harm was intended but this has been going for a while and all the employees have been included so this employee is not being singled out and this is an isolated incident and so not a case of harassment.

And the best approach would be for the person who tied on the ribbon to apologize and agree not to do this again.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i wish it was that simple we spoke to the employer and tried to explain that this was ongoing the fact is the employee that were speaking about is a minority and has ongoing trouble and i now believe that he is now trying to make me a pawn in a harassment case ive been given a 1 day suspension without pay and was told that i violated the workplace violence and harassment act

Are you about to have a hearing, and if so who is representing you?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have recently had a hearing a level 3 of the grievance procedure. I'm being represented by my Union. The next stage would either be mediation or arbitration.

I see. So you are likely in good hands and as I am a stranger to this and feel that this is not a case of discrimination or harassment it is very likely that an arbitrator would feel the same way.