Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My ex employer gave me a truck in December. Was daughter as

Customer Question

My ex employer gave me a truck in December. Was for my daughter as a Christmas and birthday present. I had left the company end of January he had sent texts threatening to charge me I have the bill of sale. I traded the truck along with my truck off at a local dealership for three cars for my kids and I. Now he went to the police to charge me. I have to go to the police station as they want my side of the story as to what is happening. Can he charge me? And should I have a lawyer with me ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

Are you saying he gave you the truck and you have proof as you have the Bill of Sale but a month later you resigned and now he is saying the truck is his?

Was the truck registered in your name before you sold it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that's why I am saying. And yes the truck was registered and insured to me prior to me selling. I just got back from the police department they are investigating everything now

It is odd the police would even bother. This is clearly a civil matter.

If they police tell you they are going to charge you or want another statement then it is time to retain a criminal lawyer. But given they will find out the truck was in your name there is no likelihood that they will pursue this.

I am quite surprised they are looking into this at all. I wonder if your employer lied about something as this has nothing to do with any criminal act.