Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I work in Saskatchewan where it is legal to have a radar

Customer Question

I work in Saskatchewan where it is legal to have a radar detector. I live in Manitoba. About a mile before the MB border, I unpligged the detctor and put it out of sight under my jacket in the back seat. As I crosed into MB I noticed an RCMP car hidden behind the SK/MB sign. I was not speeding . About 3 miles into MB, by the railroad tracks I was followed and stopped by the standing car. He asked me if I had a radar detector. I saud yes and he wanted to see it so I got it from the back seat, under my jacket. He said it should have neen in the glove box. I said I knew it was not to be displayed but did not know it had to be in a glove box. U asked for a warning because I did not know it had to be in the glove box. He said too bad, It's in my hands and in the computer, so I can't. He said I could contest it because I work in SK but I will show them I have your device. Here is your ticket. I felt violated. Should I get a lawyer or just pay up. (MPI does not know where it should have been stored). Thanks.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Does the ticket offer another option which is to plead guilty with an explanation?