Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I was living in a persons house and paying 1000 rent per

Customer Question

I was living in a persons house and paying 1000 rent per month. I lived there for two years three months. There was no lease or rental agreement. Nothing by way of paperwork. Two years into renting a room, I bought a car and parked in in the driveway due to the fact that I needed to pay fines before I could register and insure the vehicle. Two weeks later, the police broke down the front door and the owner was arrested for selling pills. I left the house that night not to return other than to pick up my belongings and car. Even made verbal arrangement with owner to pay 50 /mth storage for car. Understanding that it would have to be paid before I take the car.
Long story short, of the two owners living there, they would not return calls and after questioning about my car in a text message, they didn't answer and actually blocked me. I got a ride to see what was happening with my car and it was there in January 16, went past in first wk of March and they had gotten rid of it. No notice, remainder of belongings can't get answers on. They won't answer the door, as I stated, blocked me from texts, calls, etc.
The car was purchased by me for 5500, and they have obviously sold it along with my 50 inch TV stereo, clothes, etc valued at 6000. I need to know how I get my car and belongings back, and appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance. Email***@******.***. Thanks
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

How much do you think your items are worth altogether including the car?