Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Can a 17 year old in Ontario leave home if she wants to?

Customer Question

JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: She is my stepdaughter and doesn't live with us - and we think she should stay with her mother at least until she finishes her education, but she is refusing to go back.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: The situation at home does not seem to be good from what we are told - but we don't know what to do. My husband only has legal access, the relationship with his ex is not good and we don't live anywhere near her school so we'd have to find someone else to look after her until June if she really refuses to go back.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: that's it?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Yes she can.

In Ontario a child of 16 or older can decide where she will live.

But if she withdraws from parental control and leaves home against the parents' wishes she is no longer entitled to child support.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.