Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

In a situation where I'm wondering if my employer has

Customer Question

In a situation where I'm wondering if my employer has crossed the line ... large multinational .. but we've ( all staff - not just me) had growing problems since we got a new site manager 4 years ago ... I'm salaried , been employed there for 21 years and am heading towards a planned retirement in a couple of years . For 20 years I have had good and a couple of excellent annual reviews ... my performance is still on par... this Dec my manager knocked down all my performance indicators and threatened to put me on probation ( as soon as he figured out how to monitor things ? ) and I could be terminated ??? .... naturally this came as a bomb-shell ... We have all worked under increased stress the last few years ... the place has been called "toxic and poisoned environment on many occasions due to what we have phrased as bullying , harassment , and intimidating" but most of us old-timers have been hanging in for full pension ... I am currently off for a few weeks for health reason brought on by the stress of having my job threatened . ( under doctors care .. not fake ) I am literally unsure if I can return or not to work around the man .... note ... this is not just me FYI the last 4 years there has been a staff turnover of 26 people for a 23 staff management group ... VP HR of North America has been here a year ago to see what the heck was going on ... so senior mgmt. is aware thee is a problem
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No but preparing to... question is do I have grounds to pursue wrongful dismissal aka quitting with cause and pursuing a monetary remedy
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Employment Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Employment Lawyer should know?
Customer: Bullying & intimidation are key factors ... HR is aware ... to date nothing has been done ... it continues to happen to all of us
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

Are you in a union?

What province are you in please?