Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Back ground information: I receive disability payments from

Customer Question

Back ground information:
I receive disability payments from great west, my company paid my benefits and decided to buy me out. They gave me a settlement and great west also sent me a letter telling me they will be discontinuing my disability payments for a year because of the settlement. A year went by and I started receiving payments from great west again. My fist payment was a parcial payment December 2013 and proceeded from there. Now I had filled out the paper work they sent me so the also knew I was receiving government disability. They had been deducting those benefits prior to my settlement so they did know what I was getting from the government.
Today I received a letter telling me that in December 2013 they gave me the parcial payment and calculated my CPP at 177.40 but didn't correct it for the full payment in January 2014. The amount should have been 443.49, therefore now they want me to repay 6386.16 within 30 days. I am on disability and use these fund for my mortgage and bills and this barely covers my bills. How do I pay back this amount when I haven't got it? They direct deposit my money into my account and I don't have any paper work to see what is taken off my cheque. Like I said I was cut off for a year so o didn't know the amount I was going to receive and when I was about to receive these cheque's again they sent me a letter letting my know it was coming, that it. I was suprised I was getting a bit more but I didn't know how much it was going to be to start with. What are my options in this case. They say it's my responsibility but I can see how if they made the mistake in the first place. Thank you in advance
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you and sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Unfortunately, you are responsible for paying them back even if this was an error.

However, if this went to court the court would like you much more than 30 days to repay them as they paid you over a long period of time. In other words, if they made a mistake for over a year than you should have over a year to pay them back.

Tell them that you will pay them back but you are unable to do so in 30 days and that you require more time or you are happy for them to have a court decide.