Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

When I started my job 6 years ago i signed up pension plan.

Customer Question

When I started my job 6 years ago i signed up for the pension plan. They never started taking it off, I only realized this a couple months ago. Do I have the right to ask for the back pay
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying this was an error on their part and they missed this all these years?

How could you not have realized this until now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is correct, I went to a meeting to find out I was getting my benefits but no pension. They are suppose to match my 5.5 but it turns out i was not paying into it either,I asked many times why i never had a balance showing the amounts,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know if i have the right to get back pay on from them for their mistake
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Yes you do.

This is as a result of their error and you tried to find out why your paycheque or documentation never reflected the contributions but they never explained it.

They are required to put you in the position that you would have been in had they not made this error.