How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 96458
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a us citizen and was married to a canadian citizen

Customer Question

I am a us citizen and was married to a canadian citizen for 20 years. We are now divorced. Do I qualify nfor a portion of his social insurance?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

What you are asking doesn't make sense. But perhaps you are asking whether you share in his Canada pension plan retirement benefits?

Where did you live during the course of your marriage? Where does your spouse live now and where do you live now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We both lived in Canada for 19 years. I lived in the US for the last year of the marriage. And yes, questioning if I can sharen inhis Canadian Canadian Social Insurance. I do have a social insurance number myself.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

It is not sharing his social insurance. You are using the wrong term. You have to be careful to use the correct term or you will never get what you area entitled to.

You will be able to share in the credits that your former spouse acquired during the course of your marriage if you have an agreement that allows this, and order that allows this or you lived in a province that allows this even without an agreement.

Your next step would be to contact Canada pension plan and tell them the facts and ask if you are entitled to a credit split. If you are your next step after that would be to apply for the credit split. The person on the phone will tell you how to get the forms which are available online.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Related Canada Law Questions