Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a US citizen wanting to immigrate to Canada. My

Customer Question

i am a US citizen wanting to immigrate to Canada. My daughter is a Canadian citizen and we applied under the family sponsorship program. Until I here, what restrictions do I have regarding living in Canada? How long can I live here? What about medical insurance?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

You can come for a visit for up to six months and then either apply to extend you visit or go back home and come back a bit later.

You can only visit and cannot work.

You are not eligible for publicly funded health insurance until you get your permanent residency status and then live in one province for at least 3 months.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does that mean I can stay six months, go home for five days and then return for another six months?

You can try that and it may work at first but at some point the officer at the border is going to think you are really trying to live in Canada and then you will either be given a shorter time to stay or be turned away at the border.

It is just not possible to live in Canada until you get your PR status. It is the same way as this is treated in the US really. People need green cards to move to the US.

Do you see what I mean?