Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My landlord is attempting to kick my family out of our house

Customer Question

Hi my landlord is attempting to kick my family out of our house under no grounds what so ever, when I filled out the application I used my mothers maiden name, the landlords did no back ground checks or anything, On the tenancy agreement however, the agreement is signed with both my mothers maiden name as well as my legal last name. They did not contact any of our references, employment or rental references, yesterday my landlord came to my door drunk trying to be quite confrontational, threatening to slap my fiance in the face, we called the police and he left he than came back late at night ringing my doorbell asking me to lend him money, they now have a lawyer stating he is going to sue me if I try to dispute the eviction notice, how should I handle this?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

What grounds are they saying they want to evict you for?

For example are they saying that you use a fake name? Why did you use your mother's maiden name?

Are you saying you agree want to move out but just need more time and that is the only issue?