Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am wondering if you could help me with a problem. I

Customer Question

Hi. I am wondering if you could help me with a problem. I entered into a rent to own contract in Feb 2015 .ending Feb 2015 and the landlord did not pay his morgage starting in Jan 2014. He never paid his morgage from the time that we entered into this contract and has now passed away. The house is in foreclosure and the family now would like us to pay rent. Is not the contract null and void because he never upheld his part of the contract? We always paid the rent and the extra for the down payment. All our money is gone and we can now not use the money to buy the house.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Yes. He most assuredly breached the contract. You can consider the contract at an end.

That does not mean that you have to forgo the money you paid towards the rent to own. You can sue his estate.

At the same time, you cannot live in the home without paying rent if that's also what you want to know?

Let me know if you need any further clarification.