Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Privately owned property taken over by squatters?
, We

Customer Question

Customer: Privately owned property taken over by squatters?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have property in Bishop's Falls, NL. My husband and I are about to retire in his home town. We went to have the land surveyed before building. We were informed that we no longer have rights to the property, it has been taken over by squatters.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

I will need quite a few more of the basic facts before I can answer. Once I get that I will do some research and get back to you.

Do you know how long these people have been occupying the property?

Do you know what land registry system you are under?

When these people were occupying the land have they been doing so openly, continuously, and exclusively for all of these years?

Were they ever given permission to use the land?

Who told you this?