Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Some time ago my step daughter asked me to sign Telus

Customer Question

Some time ago my step daughter asked me to sign for a Telus account for her, which I foolishly did, she did not pay for the service and now Telus has sent the acct. to collections. The amount of the debt is $2700 including non return of their equipment, can I take her to court to recover this cost?. plus I recently learned that she also opened a sirius Satellite Radio account and used my charge card number without consent to do that. this has been withdrawn from my charge card since April 2014. I am a 67 year old senior on a fixed income and can't afford this.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Yes you can most assuredly sue her. What you should do is send her a demand letter by registered mail and in the letter set out the facts, provide her a deadline for reimbursing you for all the monies she has cost you and tell her that if she fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can sue her in small claims court and self represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you could always post on the site again and I can assist you further.