Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Last year, there was a flood in my tenant's apartment one

Customer Question

Last year, there was a flood in my tenant's apartment one month before his return from Tokyo. He insists that I was responsible to move his belongings to allow the restoration work to proceed. I said that that was counter intuitive, with a view to liability issues.
Is he correct?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What was the cause of the flood? When I need to know is whether this was something that your tenant caused or not.

Are you saying that you discovered that the unit flooded but you did not take any steps to repair the damage from the flood or protect his belongings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cause was from a frozen pipe in the upstairs unit. My insurance company went to work immediately, but full restoration could not take place without moving my downstairs tenant's belongings. This occurred in Toronto, Ontario last February when there was such extreme cold.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

So we're his belongings damaged?

We are not able to get in touch with him?