Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I activated this chat by accident, but I am interested in

Customer Question

Customer: I activated this chat by accident, but I am interested in two things: does the Criminal Code of Canada get italicized when one is writing about it? And with respect to 437 --false alarm of fire -- if someone were to pull a fire alarm to vacate a building in the event of a live shooter, would/could they be charged?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am an English prof at UNB developing an essay topic for students who have read Alan Dershowitz's essay about Holmes's "flawed analogy"
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $39 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

Yes. You would italicize the name of the Act. All statutes names are ***** ***** italics.

There would be no likelihood that anyone would be charged with a false alarm if they pull a fire alarm because there is a shooter in the building.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** very timely and very helpful. Do you know if Ali Martin who pulled the alarm during the movie theatre shooting in Lafayette, Louisiana, last year was either commended or charged?

I don't but I am a lawyer in Canada. Sorry!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's good to know actually. When I entered my personal info for payment/profile purposes, there was not pull-down on the menu for any Canadian province!

I find that really surprising. I never knew that.