Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Okay so my neighbour beside me smokes pot all day and sells

Customer Question

Okay so my neighbour beside me smokes pot all day long and sells it. Anyway I don't care that he smokes but My 6 year old is room smells so bad he doesn't like sleeping in there. The guy got a warning a couple months ago about it and he stopped for a bit then this last month he started again. The cops showed up last night because my landlord didn't want anything to do with it so the cops came and gave him a warning and told me to give the case number ***** the landlord (the police also seemed annoyed about me) so I did that this morning and the landlord told me that they are going to talk to him. So when my child and I got home his room didn't smell so I put him to bed in there. Just now (11:30pm) when I went to check on him his room reeks of skunk weed. I called my landlord but they pretty much said they're annoyed of me complaining and that they can't force him to stop. I dont smoke at all so why do I have to put up with this shit? I live in calgary housing I can't move. What can I do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Your landlord must protect your right to peaceful enjoyment of your home. And this neighbour is depriving you of this right. The landlord must take steps to evict the tenant.

You can bring an application to the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS). Here is a link to the information you will need:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/landlord-tenant-disputes.cfm

You can get an order to compel the landlord to evict the tenant and for an order for a rent abatement.