How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 98971
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Okay so my neighbour beside me smokes pot all day and sells

Customer Question

Okay so my neighbour beside me smokes pot all day long and sells it. Anyway I don't care that he smokes but My 6 year old is room smells so bad he doesn't like sleeping in there. The guy got a warning a couple months ago about it and he stopped for a bit then this last month he started again. The cops showed up last night because my landlord didn't want anything to do with it so the cops came and gave him a warning and told me to give the case number ***** the landlord (the police also seemed annoyed about me) so I did that this morning and the landlord told me that they are going to talk to him. So when my child and I got home his room didn't smell so I put him to bed in there. Just now (11:30pm) when I went to check on him his room reeks of skunk weed. I called my landlord but they pretty much said they're annoyed of me complaining and that they can't force him to stop. I dont smoke at all so why do I have to put up with this shit? I live in calgary housing I can't move. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Your landlord must protect your right to peaceful enjoyment of your home. And this neighbour is depriving you of this right. The landlord must take steps to evict the tenant.

You can bring an application to the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS). Here is a link to the information you will need:

You can get an order to compel the landlord to evict the tenant and for an order for a rent abatement.

Related Canada Law Questions