Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I'm the president of a local non profit club and one of the

Customer Question

I'm the president of a local non profit club and one of the committee members said you are like Hitler. Please advise me on action to take or just let it be ?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Can you tell me more about when this comment was made? Was it recorded or published? Don't use details that can identify anybody.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was made at a committee meeting with the grand president and the orator f the order present
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you please advice me

I need more. Were minutes taken? Was the commentor affiliated with the organization? Are you in a paid position? Is the organization incorporated?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe that comment was omitted from the minutes, but it was made. Yes the commentor was the elected orator of our club.
No my position is voluntary.Yes we are incorporated.

Is anyone salaried?

What effect did this comment have, in your opinion?

I'm stepping away from my computer for a bit but I'll be back. You sound like an erudite person. What would you like to see done? I agree that nobody likes to be called Hitler, but it does happen because we can't control what other's say or write about us.

How many were present at this meeting? Are you concerned about your personal reputation?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe that there were over a dozen people at the meeting. I'm a member of the Ontario College of teachers and there was no reason for him making such a comment. Nobody likes to be compared to a person responsible for the murder of thousand of people.

I'm back, sorry about last night. I didn't have internet access after my last post to you.

While it happens frequently online, nobody likes to be called or compared to Hitler in front of a group. But your remedy, and whether you have one, depends on the context and the impact.

This was a small group and if asked each would likely have a different recall and interpretation of what happened.

What is your recall of the context of the comment? Could the commentor be said to have been being satiric, or sarcastic?