Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I used a credit consolidation company called consolidated

Customer Question

I used a credit consolidation company called consolidated credit. Ibfinished the program back in may with a ketter stating ivwas done. In Oct I received a letter from the credit card company stating they closed my account and their is still a remaining balance. I called consolidated credit to find more info and they said it was a data entery problem on their part, they wont take ownership of this mistake. My credit rating is ruined because of this. Can i go after them to restore my credit rating and damages? This has destroyed my livlihood.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Whose error is this.? The credit card company or the credit consolidation company?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The error was made by the credit consolidation company. They admit that their was an error in entering the correct balance when i started the program . The error was found today. They told me not to pay the remaing balance 4 months ago and they will get a letter from the credit card company stating balance paid. Today they found a letter from the credit card company stating i still had a balance and at the same time found the data entry error on their part. I have a letter from the consolidation company saying i finished the program in may. Then this happened in october

So, they are saying that they are not willing to compensate you in anyway for this error. Is that the case?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they said that their is nothing they will do on their part and i am to pay the balance and live with a ruined credit rating because when you enter these types of programs it ruins your credit anyway

I suggest that you, or a lawyer acting for you, send them a letter threatening a lawsuit. When someone causes you harm they are liable to compensate you for damages in many cases. In this case they are certainly liable to compensate you for damages because they held themselves out to be experts and you relied on their expertise and now I have suffered.

It is hard to know how much a court would order because it is hard to quantify what this means for you but if you can show that you suffered in your ability to earn income then the damages could be quite substantial.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My income is not affected, my credit rating is and the ability to rebuild or to apply for loans.....Ok, i guess i will have to find a lawyer in the calgary area. Thanks for your help
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this has caused me much stress

I thought your income was affected because you said this destroyed your livelihood.

In any event, this still certain caused you damages.