Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I red a lawyer last March to help settle my brothers estate

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** hired a lawyer last March to help settle my brothers estate as he died without a will. It was a very simple estate as he did not have much money other than a company pension that we were succesful at recieving a lump sum comuted value aswell as a home that was debt free. I recieved a call from the legal secretarey to ask me if I would like to have the house put in my name in order to sell it. (she told me that I could not sell it untill the title was in my name). Once the house was sold Dec 1 2015 we had thought that we were now finnished with the setate. We called a few days later to find out when I could puck up the proceeds and was told that we would need a clearence certificate from CRA. I then faxed a letter saying that I would like to wrap this up and take full resposability for the clearence certificate myself as it would take such a long time to do. Also after contacting CRA they looked at my brothers file and told us that it would not likley be nessicary in this case to obtain one. I called the lawyer a few days later and was told that it would take him a few weeks to finalize and pay us out, and that Christmas would fall in there as well as his secretary would then be going on vacation so "Don't go buying a new car just yet" My sister called again this week and was told that his secretary was not back as she was delayed at the airport and he would call when it was ready. We still have not heard from his office and it is now Jan 8 2016. How long can he prolong this?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is the last time you called the lawyer yourself rather than the secretary?