Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

An A-hole brought a business idea to my attention. I sent

Customer Question

An A-hole brought a business idea to my attention.
I sent the payment.
We signed the contract.
He is the PRESIDENT of the company and says that on the contract.
Now this A-hole says the bank account belongs to someone else and has nothing to do
with his company.
He’s 100% right (At least I can't fully prove that this guy is his partner is some ways).
I sued him for false representation and we are going to court.
Who will win?
My plan of attack:
He is the PRESIDENT!!! When you are the president, you have access to everything!!!
I have an email where it shows that he owes the real owner of the bank account a payment of some kind. So he played this entire game.
Payment was sent 11 months BEFORE we signed a contract. If the Defendant didn’t get the payment, and had 11 months to figure that out, why according this contract I'm the 40% owner of this company (He is the president of this company)?
I have two emails from different times in a year where he is talking about paying me back. If he didn’t get my money, what does he keep talking about paying back?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

The facts are not yet clear enough.

Please start from the beginning and explain what happened and please also include the amount you paid and your province.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Province: BCDefendant approached me with a business idea.Defendant was asking for a $9000 payment. I offered $7000.Defendant agreed.I sent the payment to the exact bank info the defendant provided.11 months later, we sign a contract.It took 11 months because Defendant was involved in an ongoing lawsuit.Once he said that his lawsuit is over, we went ahead and signed the contract.On the contract, he’s the president and I’m the vice president.I found out his lawsuit is still going on.I demanded my money back.Defendant claims he never received the moneyMy plan of attack:He is the PRESIDENT!!! When you are the president, you have access to everything!!!I have an email where it shows that he owes the real owner of the bank account a payment of some kind. So he played this entire game to pay him back.Payment was sent 11 months BEFORE we signed a contract. If the Defendant didn’t get the payment, and had 11 months to figure that out, why according this contract I'm the 40% owner of this company (He is the president of this company)?I have two emails from different times in a year where he is talking about paying me back. If he didn’t get my money, what does he keep talking about paying back?

What is your specific question, please?