Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Employment law and verbal contracts
, I joined a family

Customer Question

Customer: employment law and verbal contracts
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I joined a family business just over a year ago. Prior to leaving my previous employment we discussed terms. Terms being salary, salary review and dividends to be paid upon an increase in the percentage the business was making. I have recently been denied the salary review and dividends. Since joining the business the percentage the business has increased has been 40% total. We did not legally draw up contracts but it was just written down, no signatures etc. Now they are changing the terms.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how do I pay? i.e. is there a secure method
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
18 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because i'm not sure there's anything I can do about this, or to receive the dividends i'm owed, my plan is to walk away and shut down the website etc that I built for the business. I'm not sure I have any other recourse. Even after printing the reports to show how much the business had made they refuse to pay the dividends and want to change the terms, which is convenient because i've already increased business, now they want to see more of an increase. In addition they have chosen to take the dividends and reinvest them in stock, thus there is not much left in dividends so they state they don't have enough in the account...essentially a circle of them making sure the dividends account is empty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

There was a glitch and I was never advised that you replied.

Do you want to continue?