Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My father has been named as one of two beneficiaries of an

Customer Question

My father has been named as one of two beneficiaries of an estate, the other being the executor who lived in California. The neighbour received 10,000. This is so far what the will says, but there is an amendment that has not yet been read. The neighbour has entered the house and removed and given away furniture and other items from the house (she had the key to the estate from before) because she says that's what the deceased told her, although it is not in the will. We also know she had a bank card of the deceased, we don't know if anything has been taken from there. The executor says he does not yet know if he is the executor because of the amendment and either way we should just "forgive" the neighbour and not bother about getting the items back. We have emails from the neighbour who clearly says she has removed items from the house, as well as for the executor (as it stands now) who says he can't or won't do anything about it. What can we do?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

I have answered this question before. Are you asking for a second opinion?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your answer recommended we contact the executor, but as I wrote above, we did contact him and he will not do anything about it because he is not sure he really is the executor because of the amendment and if he is, he says we should just forgive. What is the next step we can take?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have emails from the neighbour that say she took items out of the house already.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also an email from the executor who says won't do anything about it.

There is no reason to forgive this. It is not right that the wishes of a deceased person are not carried out.

I suggest you have a lawyer send the letter to the executor and the neighbour threatening a lawsuit.

No one is listening to you so a letter from a lawyer is your next best step unfortunately.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are in Alberta, the property in Montreal. can we do this through a lawyer in Alberta?

Yes. The lawyer in Alberta can send the letter. If you actually have to sue you would need a lawyer in Quebec.