Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

In May of this year I was working Canada in Egypt as a field

Customer Question

Hello. In May of this year I was working for Apache Canada in Egypt as a field manager. During this month Apache was downsizing due to the oil prices. I was not one of the personnel offered a severence package or dismissal. I send a text message to HR in Cairo asking him if Apache was downsizing and if a person was getting ready to retire, would Apache offer them a package. I returned to Canada and waited three to almost four weeks for his reply. He did not response or send me a reply. During this time in Canada, I decided to not return to my job in Cairo because of the civil unrise and dangers that had become part of the job in Egypt. Since being back in Canada, I have found out that an employee voluntared to quit his position if he was given a package. He received up to $200,000 for 35 years of service and I received nothing for 37 years and basicially offered to quit my position the same as he had done. Do I had any means of etting Apache to give me some sort of compensation as they did in Canada to this employee in the Rocky Mountain House area of Alberta. If the HR personnel had of giving me and answer or responed to my text, I would have maybe pursued this more before putting in my resignation and receiving nothing. Thanks.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What does your employment contract say about which law applies?