Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

I have been charged with utter death threat to my spouse and

Customer Question

Hi tom. I have been charged with utter death threat to my spouse and assault. I was drunk and we got into a heated argument. Should I obtain a lawyer?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 11 months ago.

As intoxication does not nullify criminal responsibility for assault, the fact you were drunk will not in itself alleviate you of criminal responsibility. Domestic assaults are treated especially serious due to the general vulnerability of the victim, so Crown's seldom show leniency, even on a first offence. For this reason, it would likely be wise to hire a lawyer, especially if you wish to go to trial. If you want to plead guilty and understand the sentence being offered by the Crown and are agreeable to it, then a lawyer will not be as crucial, but may still be useful if you are hoping to negotiate a more lenient sentence.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment for my services. Thank you.

Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment for my services. Thank you.