Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My name is ***** ***** Taperino. I'm trying to get an answer

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Taperino. I'm trying to get an answer for my son. He pays $975 per month rent. If he is late at all, he must pay $1400.00 for that month via certified check. $425.00 late fee sound exhorbitant to me, yet the judge upholds it for this apartment complex. He has explained he gets paid every other week, and can sometimes be a couple of days late. Is there a maximum a landlord can charge for one month's late fee?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What would you like me to provide? If there is a maximum late fee to be charged, at those times he cannot pay timely due to his payroll schedule, I would like to help him be more knowledgeable.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, can you please let me know what Province you are referring to as each Province has different legislation regarding residential tenancy.

Jim