Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I was scammed $1200 over Craigslist apartment. I confronted

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** I was scammed $1200 over Craigslist for an apartment. I confronted the scammer and demanded for my money back, as he signed a lease for myself and I have his e-mail, along with the contact information with the person who actually has the apartment. What do I do from here?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I do not know if he was using a fake name, but I have his e-mail address. I contacted him regarding an apartment in Burnaby for rent, he said when I send him my tennant application (if it is approved) he'd send me the keys and then I could send the damage deposit. He then asked for more than just the deposit, as he wanted that plus one months rent. I sent him the money, he has had it for about 30 hours now, I then saw he again posted the same apartment again on craigslist, and there was another post for rent from the actual owner on kijiji and I have been in contact with her. When I accused him of this, he denied it and asked me to send over an admin fee and then his lawyer advised he could send over the keys (still playing along to his scam) I did let him know I would take legal action against him, and he has not responded to that e-mail. What should I do?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

How did you pay him the money?

Was it etransfer ,paypal etc?