Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Will support payments continue after 18 if going to college

Customer Question

Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

Hello Everett, thank you for the question. It's a good one. Whether support continues past 18 depends on two things:

1) What the child doing, and

2) What mechanism or laws have determined the support.

So, tell me what the child is doing. College? Full time?

What calls for support? Is it an order or a separation agreement or something else?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No none of the above just someone told me that after 18 support stops.
I am going to my daughters on the 24th and can we ask you questions then or are you not working? I can get her to write down the questions and ask later in the New Year. Or ask them and wait for your answer!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The support was my daughter moved to Waterloo from Prescott and he said the girls would be better with their mother so that is were the support comes from he told her he would pay 500 a month
,with no strings attached (ie that she would not ask for more nothing like that)

Support can stop at age 18, but in some circumstances it can continue, and often will past 18 if the child under some circumstances.

I'll be around the website on and off. If you want to reply to me when you know more that's perfectly fine.

This sounds familiar. We discussed this situation, didn't we Everett?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we did, Am I able to ask you questions later in the week?

Yes, absolutely. If you are discussing this with your daughter, feel free to reply to me.

As I recall I suggested it's quite possible that father told mother he wouldn't object to her move if she agreed to only $500 in support. You need to get to the bottom of that.

I'll be here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK thank you, ***** ***** wonderful, I talked to my daughter on the phone and she told me that he said nothing like that, But we will ask questions when I get there On the 24th if that is ok

That's fine. Don't reply to me until you're ready to talk, or else the site will bug me that this question thread is waiting for me.

But you also just said that father offered the $500 "with no strings attached", does that mean she committed to not seeking more? When you talk to her honestly, let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Ulysses

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK THANK YOU BYE FOR NOW

You're welcome. Don't reply until you're ready to proceed, right?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ulysses 101 I have forwarded my questions and your answers to my daughter Caroline O'Reilly and told her she could and should give you all the information, and to ask you questions as I have paid for it, Is that any problem? I was asking for her, so now she can carry on!

No problem, Everett. I don't care if you share your account information with her and she continues this question thread.

She should know that if she starts a new thread then the site will charge your credit card (if that's how you paid) another deposit fee. Make sure she knows to look up your open questions on your account, to click on this one, and continue in your place.

Ulysses