Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a Canadian citizen and am thinking about applying job

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam-
I am a Canadian citizen and am thinking about applying for a job overseas as a professor in a foreign university. My wife is a permanent resident who has been living in Canada with me for two years - she has about half of the 1460 days she needs to apply for citizenship.
If she accompanies me abroad, will she continue to accumulate her days as a resident in Canada? Or will that accumulation stop until she returns? She will likely work, but neither of us is likely to be working for a Canadian-based company.
I called Immigration Canada and was surprised that the agent was not willing to answer the question directly. He was uncertain, offered to send me a page from website when in fact it was an interpretation of that very page which I was looking for - as follows:
"You can count time spent outside Canada toward the physical presence requirement for citizenship if you:
Were a permanent resident employed in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, federal public administration, or public service of a province or territory; or
Resided outside Canada with your:
Canadian spouse or common-law partner, or
permanent resident spouse, common-law partner, or parent
who was employed in or with the Canadian Armed Forces, federal public administration, or public service of a province or territory."
Respectfully, ***** ***** Ellis
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

I am surprised and disappointed that you could not get this information when you called.

It is a very common question and the law is clear and should be known by anyone working for the CIC.

Yes, she will be considered as if she is present in Canada so long as she's accompanying you because you are a Canadian citizen. So every day that she's with you abroad will count as if she was inside Canada.

Why did you close your question? If you weren't satisfied with my answer then you should reply back and ask for further clarification. And if you were satisfied you should rate me.

I am so puzzled as I don't understand at all why you did this which had caused me to work for free. Do you feel it's fair that I should be working for free? I don't to be honest.