Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

A lawyer got a judgment against me and they say I need to

Customer Question

Customer: A lawyer got a judgment against me and they say I need to present financial info
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ontario Superior Court. ave to appear tomorrow. It's $2,000. Not sure what form to fill out and deliver tomotrrow.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I thought I was going to get a chat session!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have more questions to ask and need an answer now. Not to morrow.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Is this an examination in aid of enforcing this order?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe so
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry, I don't have the paperwork with me. I thought it was going to pay this off before now. Now I have to show up tomorrow and deal with it in court.

What will happen tomorrow is that you will be cross examined under oath. You will be asked where you work and where your bank accounts are and what at other asses you have and where you live if you own house etc.

After that the plaintiff will take steps to enforce the judgment. It may be that your wages will be garnished or that your bank accounts will be seized or lien will be registered on your house. Your car could be seized.

Do you see what I mean?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think I do. I was hoping that perhaps they would give me time to pay it. But it sounds like they won't.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was hoping maybe we could agree to postdated checks or installments.

They may. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What will I need to show up with tomorrow? To show that I'm trying to cooperate and comply?

Yes. And bring bank statements and if you own a car bring the appropriate documentation.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what is the form that I'm supposed to fill out?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is it acceptable to just show up with this tomorrow at the hearing? Or was this supposed to be served before hand?

I don't know what form you got but I assume it is a form for you to list your assets. Do your best to fill it out and just show up with it tomorrow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have the form that I was given. That's why was asking I was looking for it online. I found one called form 20 I. Would that be it?

Yes that is correct.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. I don't know if I can get statements together. But I have an app that I used to record all of my monthly expenses. Would it be sufficient to bring a printout of that
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this all discussed in a public forum? Or is this done private?

Bring all that you can bring. It will be in open court and you will be providing sworn testimony.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Does the amount that I paid just count for this question? Or maybe able to come back with other legal situations?

I don't work for the site because I'm a practicing lawyer but it looks to me like you do not have a subscription.

If you think you are going to have more legal questions than you should set up a subscription with the site and also keep my name, it is legal ease, and from now on when you post put my name into the question so that I will answer right away.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got it. Thanks.

You are very welcome.

Take care.