Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

At an annual general meeting if the attendance falls below a

Customer Question

At an annual general meeting if the attendance falls below a quorum as people lose interest and leave, do the votes taken as majority votes by the remaining members still count as valid?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What type of organization is this? For example is it a condominium or is it a corporation that runs a business etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a condominium
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our quorum at the start of the meeting was met but a lot of people left and I don't think a quorum was maintained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got an email saying you sent an answer but I can't access it? How do I get it? When I click on the 'get response' nothing shows up.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry. There must be a glitch with the site.

When they voted did they see that there was not a quorum for the vote? In other words, didn't they count how many votes were actually made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am only going the minutes of the meeting and the recollections of some members. The minutes do not reflect what the final vote tally was. Before I challenge the board I want to know if lack of a quorum as the meeting goes on invalidates votes. If not, then my issue is moot. It it does then I will go forward with a challenge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This should not be taking this long. This is a simple question of general application.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If there was not a quorum at the time the actual vote was held then the vote was not valid.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Why did you close the post. Do you feel it is fair that I should work for free?

You needed the answer and got it and then after that you closed the question?

Please be fair as I am sure you don't want to work for free.