Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

, I have been in Canada since 2009 on an open work

Customer Question

Customer: Hello,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have been in Canada since 2009 on an open work permit. I applied for PR status in 2012. I have recently received a letter from Immigration Canada saying that I have been charged with theft under $5,000.00 - CC 334(b) and that I have a court date for March 28, 2016. i am not aware of any such pending charge or court date. I have contacted the municipal court here in Montreal and they also appear to have no record of such a charge. What do I need to do to ensure that this error does not affect the application for PR status for myself and my family?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Are you saying you have never been charged in Canada?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was arrested for a similar offence in 2011. All charges were dropped within 30 days and the case was voided by the Montreal Municipal Court. Unfortunately, I have moved twice since then and have lost the documentation. I visited the same courthouse yesterday and they were unable to find anything in my name.

Have you contacted the police?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No but I will try to do that today.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oops, it looks like I can only go on Friday.

This does not make any sense. You would know if you were charged. And you would certainly know if you had a court date.

There is a mistake. So, you have to go to the police station and get them to provide you with confirmation that they do not have any charges pending against you and then provide this to Canada immigration.