Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I represent a small 9 unit Condo, where our elevator has

Customer Question

I represent a small 9 unit Condo, where our elevator has malfunctioned for close to 6 years, at a high cost to us. Our elevator service contract was AUTOMATICALLY renewed this past August while we waited for the company representative to meet with us. We proposed a ONE YEAR TERM while getting a resolution. We have not yet had our problems diagnosed , nor resolved, and his commitments to us have not been met. We asked to have the contract severed, so that we can engage another company more familiar with our LULA lift. The agent has threatened to refer to his legal people, as he does not believe we have a RIGHT to sever. Please advise us. Thank you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Did you know that this was a auto renewable contract?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot access your answer. And there is some gibberish about not having my correct card number That is wrong.
I am very disappointed in this site please remove me from it. Lesson learned. Fortunately, it only cost me 63$. What a scam. ..merle reid

I did not provide an answer. But I provided an information request. I do not work for the site so I cannot assist you with this issue. Would you like for me to ask customer service to speak to you?

As well, if you don't want to go ahead you should ask customer service for a full refund.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If anyone wishes to call, I can only be reached after 4 pm. I am at the hospital with my husband( alzheimers)

I need to know now if you wish to go ahead. I cannot continue to spend time with you when there are so many other customers if you do not want to go ahead.

I'm not able to speak to you on the telephone. The rules of my law society prohibit me from doing so because you are not my client.

I know the site offers this service but there are no lawyers in Canada that can do this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please cancel my request. I realize now it is US based only. I should have known that. The Ontario laws will be different. I will instead deal directly with the Consumer Protection Bureau. Thank you for your time. I do not expect my money back but insist on being removed from the site. M J Reid

I am a lawyer in Ontario. I would not answer if I was in the US. The consumer protection branch cannot assist with this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we did know, however were in the midst of "negotiating for better service, ". At the time. We expected a "hold" to have been put on the renewal.

I understand and was the contract one that you could decide not to renew but with written notice and you did not provide this because you were under the view that since you were discussions with them they knew you might not renew and they never mentioned the auto renew issue to you?

I know this is a lot of questions but I want to formulate the best answer for you in terms of how to deal with this.