Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a physician in BC, originally fro Syria. I have never

Customer Question

Hello, I am a physician in BC, originally fro Syria. I have never get a loan from any bank before and I have "good" credit history. I had a premier bank account at HSBC. Due to a financial situation, I requested from the bank a 100,000 CAD line of credit. The bank representative promised to get me an answer within few days. He asked me few questions, and I answered them. One of them was if I have property in Syria and if I have relative their. Both answers were yes. The representative kept sending questions every few days and claimed that the loan won't be approved without them. Eventually I managed to get money by selling some of my RRSP, and I told him I don't need the line of credit anymore. Yet he insisted that I have to answer all the remaining questions (mostly related to my recent bank transactions within Canada), otherwise my account will be closed. I refused to answer any question. The bank just closed my account.
My question if the bank action is legal?, and if this consider a discrimination?
Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Are you thinking that this is because you are from Syria?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Then for sure this is unlawful as it is a clear case of discrimination if you were being asked these questions merely because your country of origin is Syria. You are living in Canada and in fact you are physician so are more highly educated than these ignorant people who are questioning you.

I am not aware of any law that says you have to answer those questions.

The only law I know of that would somehow relate to what happened is that you have to answer questions if you are making large cash deposits. But clearly that has nothing to do with your issue and so I think it's a case of discrimination and that you should file a complaint either with the human rights commission or you should take this to the central office of the bank, and when that doesn't work and I'm sure it won't, you would then go to the bank's inhouse ombudsman, and then when that doesn't work because I'm sure it won't you, you can go to the external bank ombudsman that works for the government and who may be able to get this resolved.

I'm actually saddened and actually sickened because this happened to you. It is outrageous.