Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

How do I say to the judge if I'm representing myself that I

Customer Question

How do I say to the judge if I'm representing myself that I want the burden of proof to lay with the prosecutor. I have been charged with a hit and run(a tire scruff) I drive a truck and had no idea my tire contacted her vehicle, the accident was as minor as it comes, no drugs or alcohol involved, just a simple drive home from work and I'm being charged with failure to remain at an accident that I didn't even know happened. What is rVd?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You do not have to tell the judge that the burden of proof lies with the prosecutor. It is one of the fundamental principles of our legal system and both the judge and the prosecutor know full well that the burden of proof lies with the prosecutor.

MIn fact, the burden of proof is a difficult one to meet. The court has to be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed this offence. If there's any doubt the judge will find you not guilty.