How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 96418
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking ex. He owes me over 5000.00. He has skipped

Customer Question

I am looking for my ex. He owes me over 5000.00. He has skipped town and changed his phone number. I have no idea where he is. I am thinking of starting a facebook page called: Help Sarah Find Ethan, with a photo of him on the front asking people to give me his contact info if they know where he is. I really don't know what other course of action I can take as he is not responding to my E-mail, changed phones, and his mother isn't returning my calls either. I have no idea where he is and I don't want to go chasing around Victoria BC looking for him. A detective is too expensive and my time to serve my court documents is running out. Can I get sued for giving people the hard facts and asking them to help me find him on facebook? The picture of him on the page will have been from a photo I took myself, and was given permission by him to use in other capacities. What should I do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

You plan on telling the truth don't you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The whole truth and nothing but.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is a PDF of the written info on the claim.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

I cannot review documents but the bot***** *****ne is that so long as you are not lying about him in any way then this is not defamation.

A claim is not confidential.

And the truth is never grounds for defamation. In fact the truth is a complete defence to a claim of defamation.

So there is nothing he can do to you if he is not happy with the posting and if he wants to come after you that is one way to find him.

But also you should know that to retain a private investigator just to find a current address is not usually expensive at all so you should check about that before just dismissing the idea.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Most importantly I am wondering if using an actual photo of him will get me in trouble?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

So long as you took the photo or whomever took it gave you permission to use it then you are OK.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. He didn't give me permission to use it in this capacity. He only gave me permission to send it to family members etc.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Did he take the photo?

Do you have one you took?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took the photo. However it was a casual thing. I don't have a written document from him expressly stating I could use it later in a facebook campaign. If you know what I mean. There's no solid evidence I took the photo.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

He doesn't have to give you permission to use it. So long as you took it then he cannot stop you from using it.

I don't think you should be worried about proving who took it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. thanks so much for your help!
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome. I am sorry this is happening to you. I sure hope it works out.

Take good care.

Related Canada Law Questions