Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Subcontract payments
, ok. I was doing subcontract work

Customer Question

Customer: subcontract payments
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ok. I was doing subcontract work for an accounting company and was being treated very poorly. I found another job and accepted the offer and abruptly quit the former subcontract job on 27 November 2015. As of yet, I have not been paid and it is 12 December. There was no "pay when paid" clause in the contract or any terms regarding notice for quitting.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $39) to post your type of question to Canada Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

What province are you in?

When is the last time you did work?

How much you are you owed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
province - AlbertaMy last invoice was from 16 - 25 November. I took Thursday 26 November off for a professional development class) and I quit on the morning of Friday, 27 November. The last day I was in the office working was 25 November. I emailed the invoice on 27 November.I am owed $1,411.20
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I suggest that you send them a letter by Registered Mail and in the letter give them a deadline that is very short to pay you in full. Tell the if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and will be seeking interest and your costs.

If they don't comply you can sue the in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,I have emailed the former contractor already setting a deadline of 18 December. If I have not received any remuneration by that time, I will send him a letter detailing the pending lawsuit.What things must I due to ensure success if I sue the contractor and represent myself? I have the following:1. Past invoices and bank statements showing deposits
2. I could get the former coworkers to write a statement stating that I was actually working during that time.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

I am terribly sorry for the delay. Shortly after answering you I became ill, unexpectedly, was not able to go online for the rest of the day. I do apologize.

That evidence will be enough. It is really substantial evidence and I cannot think of anything else you will need. You will testify under oath of course and that will be the bulk of your evidence. The other potential witnesses and the documents are great.