Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am employed .5 years with my employer, middle of June this

Customer Question

Hi I am employed for 18.5 years with my employer, middle of June this I was given a letter that my position I being eliminated. Without the proper reason why, my question is what are my rights and how would my severance pay be calculated? I guess I trusted my employers HR department that I did not bother to question anything but come Dec. 18 will be my last of work .....I need advise on my situation please and thank you.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

You are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.